Michigan State University invites applications for the position of Enrollment and Academic Strategic Planning Spartan One-Stop Director. The One-Stop reports to the Assistant Provost of Enrollment and Academic Strategic Planning and is responsible for the leadership and management of the One-Stop. The primary purpose of the One-Stop is to provide integrated student services regarding Financial Aid, Student Accounts, Registrar with future consideration to expand the service model to include other key offices (e.g. Admissions, Academic Advising, etc.) to promote a personalized and unified student experience and a culture that supports student success. The Director will provide oversight, strategic planning, supervision, leadership, and management of staff and operations of this newly integrated cross-functional service in the areas of a call center, registration, financial aid, and student billing and payment. Through collaboration with university offices, the Director will be responsible for the transition and implementation of the new service model, including but not limited to hiring and training of staff.
The Director’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Set the strategic vision (developing annual goals/objectives) for the One-Stop for the University in relation to providing the most effective student services in the most efficient manner possible.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to set policy in a proactive, timely manner and lead the implementation of policy.
- Lead internal and external communications for the registrar, financial aid, and student accounts in a proactive manner and collaborate with respective offices and the Enrollment Management Communications Manager to disseminate information quickly. This includes developing a comprehensive communication plan along with managing the One-Stop’s website and informational brochures.
- Serve as liaison between Enrollment Management units, academic departments, Student Affairs, and Student Accounts in all One-Stop-related initiatives and facilitate communication and collaboration among these units.
- Serve on various student services focused campus committees.
- Contract third-party vendors and lead design, implementation, training, and maintenance, on a continual basis.
- Continually evaluate policies, performance data, programs, and services of the department to ensure compliance, quality, efficiency, and effectiveness of operations.
- Manage all personnel functions for employees in the office related to recruitment, training, assignment of responsibilities, supervision, and evaluation.
- Plan, monitor, and maintain the One-Stop’s budget and approve operating expenses according to the University’s policies and procedures.
- Evaluate technical needs and enhancements used in student services administration and incorporate improvements and modifications when appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with advising offices in the creation of the One-Stop and evidence working knowledge of advising practices.
- Ensure the security and confidentiality of all student record information and submitted documentation to comply with Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in Business Administration, Accounting, Management, or related field; five to eight years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in management and analysis, personnel management, computer systems use and development; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Qualifications And Characteristics Of The Successful Candidate
Michigan State University seeks an experienced student services professional who will provide strong directional leadership to the newly developed One-Stop. A Master’s degree is preferred. Preference will be given to candidates with a minimum of five years of broad experience in comprehensive management of an integrated services unit or candidates with a minimum of five years of progressive experience within a One-Stop Center. Preference will be given to candidates with position-related experience in a four-year college or university setting. Progressive experience at the Director or Associate Director level with strong leadership, budget management, and technical experience is required. The successful candidate will possess the following qualities/ attributes (in no particular order):
- Must present strong decision-making skills that include the ability to evaluate data quickly, set policy, and lead process implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as the lead communicator of policy and process with effective and timely communication to internal staff, students, parents and guardians, and the campus community.
- Demonstrated ability to lead an organization through changes—including the integration of new student services and continual evaluation and enhancement of business processes.
- Strong proactive planning, assessment/analysis, research, and organizational skills are essential.
- Proven ability at tracking data closely and preservation of data for comparative analysis.
- Knowledge of One-Stop student service center related IT development, leveraging strategies, and best practices is critical.
- Thorough understanding of student services regulations, practices, and technology is required.
- Additional demonstrated abilities should include effective public speaking, networking and relationship development, professional and collaborative communication style, sound philosophy of team development, strategic visioning and execution, inclusivity and understanding of people from many diverse backgrounds, creative problem-solving skills, and strong work ethic.
- Recognizes that exemplary student service is a relationship-driven, student-focused enterprise and that retention and graduation are catalysts for student success.
- Demonstrate a record of accomplishment of success in leading, mentoring, and inspiring a student services office to achieve measurable goals and fostering an attitude of
- staff responsiveness.
- Possess a strong commitment to diversity and is able to provide examples of the commitment to recruiting and hiring practices.
- Maintain a focus on continual process improvement/reengineering through effective assessment and analysis.
- Appreciate that integrated student services for both undergraduate and graduate students are a key component in a comprehensive university-wide enrollment management strategy.
- Be committed to building and maintaining a strong, resilient, and resourceful One-Stop team; support sustained professional growth and contributions, assure transparency, and maintain open communication with staff.
- Showcase superior communication, presentation, and interpersonal/relationship- building skills.
- Understand the dynamics of growth and tuition-driven institutions and the role of integrated student services in the recruitment process.
- Serve as a strong administrator and advocate for One-Stop student services across the University.
See Org. Chart (pptx)
See Accessible Version of Future Org. Chart